Welcome to Musical Starstreams!

Discussion Forum

home    faq    offers    about    listen    playlists    affiliates    host    forum    tipjar   

re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person:

Posted by forest on 2002-07-27, 21:29:01
posting from ip address: 66.74.222.80
your name<br>street address<br>city, state, zip code <br><br>Dear Representative [name]<br> US Congress<br> Washington, DC <p> Dear Representative [fill in name]: <p> I am writing you to express my strong request that you support H.R. 5285 The INTERNET RADIO FAIRNESS ACT - a legislative act offering relief for small webcasters on the Internet. I listen to Internet radio and I want to see the current variety provided by these small, independent entrepreneurs preserved, something we have lost with terrestial commercial radio since deregulation. <p> The February 20th Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) ruling on per-song royalty fees for web casting and its June 20th affirmation by the Librarian of Congress will bankrupt the small independent webcasters if allowed to go forward. <p> The key fact here is that the recent exorbitant CARP rate was based on a single marketplace contract between Yahoo!'s Broadcast.com and the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). Recently, the lead negotiator on that deal, Mark Cuban of Yahoo's Broadcast.com, published a letter in which he explained that he worked with the RIAA to set rates in that contract so that "lots of webcasters couldn't afford to stay in business on their own." The rate was set high by design in hopes that these small webcasters would either be forced out of business or have to come to Yahoo for their streaming needs, since they couldn't afford the rates if they wanted to operate independently. <p> The CARP panel and the Librarian of Congress, constrained by the specific wording of the DMCA found that they had no choice but to use this deal as the basis of their rate determination. However, the CARP panel itself noted that the RIAA had engaged in selective negotiation practices to produce only those contracts that represented their own financial goals. In other words, even though there was clear intent to bankrupt the small webcasters or force them to use Yahoo's Broadcast.com, the CARP panel and the Librarian were forced to affirm a rate based on this collusion by the RIAA and Yahoo and to fix prices at an artificial, unaffordable rate. This smells of anti-trust. There is indeed something fishy about CARP! <p> The only hope for small webcasters is immediate legislative relief in the form of Washington Congressman Jay Inslee's HR 5285 - THE INTERNET RADIO FAIRNESS ACT, introduced in the House on July 26, 2002. I am writing today to request that you support this legislation to protect small webcasters on the Internet. Rates are justified, but they must be FAIR rates! <p> As a separate matter, in these times of the Enron and Worldcom scandals, you may also wish to investigate the RIAA's predatory pricing behavior and open collusion to fix prices. I believe it represents the exact sort of corporate greed and illegal behavior that has cost the American public billions in recent months. <p> Sincerely,<br> Your Name <br> address <br> city <br> state <br> zip

Other Messages In This Thread
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: Brad
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: d bailey
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: abolazl
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: Martin J. Salisbury
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: forest
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: Techno Kid
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: Techno Kid
re: Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: Sphexi
Sample email, fax or letter to your congress person: posted by: forest

Would you like to send a reply to this message?

If so, just fill out the form below

Your Name
Your Email Address (optional)

Message Title (KEEP THESE SHORT!)

Text Of Reply

Please preview your comments carefully, BEFORE you submit them and submit them only ONCE. If you want an answer by email, this will obviously require a valid email address. We reserve the right to edit comments for clarity, to delete duplicate comments, dated material, spam, flames and any comments that we consider to be inappropriate. Please be civil!

Return to Musical Starstreams Discussion Page