Welcome to Musical Starstreams!

Discussion Forum

home    faq    offers    about    listen    playlists    affiliates    host    forum    tipjar   

re: Don't *ever* do this

Posted by Eric on 2002-07-29, 17:31:01
posting from ip address: 65.30.240.233
I'm no investment expert (emphasis added), but cashing in a <br>401K is tax suicide.<br><br>As you've discovered, not only do you lose a huge chunk of <br>that money right to the government (which can then pass laws<br>like that stupid CARP thing), but if your extra income from<br>the 401K cash-out bumps you into a higher tax bracket (which<br>it almost certainly will), you'll have to pay the additional<br>tax on your *entire* income for the year. OUCH!<br><br>If you need that money for an emergency, I believe there are<br>provisions for allowing that without the stiff penalties.<br><br>If you don't like the way some of your mutual funds within<br>your 401K are performing, you can always change them to <br>something a little more stable. (lately I don't know if<br>there is such a thing).<br><br>

Other Messages In This Thread
Don't *ever* do this posted by: Techno Kid
re: Don't *ever* do this posted by: donna
re: Don't *ever* do this posted by: Techno Kid
re: Don't *ever* do this posted by: Techno Kid

Would you like to send a reply to this message?

If so, just fill out the form below

Your Name
Your Email Address (optional)

Message Title (KEEP THESE SHORT!)

Text Of Reply

Please preview your comments carefully, BEFORE you submit them and submit them only ONCE. If you want an answer by email, this will obviously require a valid email address. We reserve the right to edit comments for clarity, to delete duplicate comments, dated material, spam, flames and any comments that we consider to be inappropriate. Please be civil!

Return to Musical Starstreams Discussion Page