Welcome to Musical Starstreams!

Discussion Forum

home    faq    offers    about    listen    playlists    affiliates    host    forum    tipjar   

HR 5285

Posted by on 2002-08-23, 21:15:29
posting from ip address: 208.252.221.7
Here's the response I got from my Rep. Mike Honda <br> <br> Dear Bradley: <br> <br> Thank you for contacting me to express your views regarding the Internet <br> Radio Fairness Act (H.R. 5285).&#160; The issue this bill seeks to address is <br> of great importance to me and I appreciate your thoughtful comments on the <br> matter. <br> <br> In 1998, Congress enacted the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) in <br> an effort to comply with new obligations as part of the World Intellectual <br> Property Organization treaties.&#160; The Act represented the most significant <br> step by Congress to address the relationship between technological change <br> and copyright law.&#160; The bill aimed to balance the competing interests of <br> copyright holders and users, while implementing strong new protections <br> against copyright infringement for the digital age.&#160; Through passage of <br> DMCA, Congress hoped to encourage businesses and artists to digitally <br> distribute copyrighted works, an interest shared by many of my Silicon <br> Valley constituents. <br> <br> Pursuant to DMCA statutory licensing provisions, the Copyright Arbitration <br> Royalty Panel (CARP) proposed Internet radio sound recording performance <br> and reproduction royalty rates on February 22, 2002.&#160; Unfortunately, CARP&#8217; <br> s proposals threaten to bankrupt many small webcasters by charging <br> exorbitant and unreasonable royalty rates.&#160; In passing the DMCA, Congress <br> intended the statutory license process to be both fair and efficient, in <br> order to encourage the development of innovative online programming.&#160; CARP <br> &#8217;s proposals are inconsistent with Congressional intent and I oppose their <br> adoption. <br> <br> On April 22, I joined with nineteen of my colleagues in sending a letter <br> to Librarian of Congress James Billington that urged a more balanced <br> approach to this issue.&#160; In May, Mr. Billington revised CARP's <br> recommendations to reflect a better, but still inadequate approach, to <br> instituting a royalty fee structure.&#160; The royalty fees announced by Mr. <br> Billington will virtually make all small Internet radio stations bankrupt <br> and eliminate royalties that would otherwise flow to artists and copyright <br> holders. I, therefore, joined with Representative Jay Inslee to introduce <br> the Internet Radio Fairness Act (H.R. 5285).&#160; This important legislation <br> will ensure reasonable compensation for artists and copyright holders, <br> while encouraging the development of Internet radio.&#160; H.R. 5285 also <br> protects small Internet webcasters (those with less than six million <br> dollars in gross revenue) by exempting them from the recent CARP ruling <br> and waiving a payment requirement for participation in future CARP <br> proceedings. <br> <br> As we continue to measure the impact of the DMCA, it is important to <br> recognize that new and emerging technologies will continue to challenge <br> public policymakers to rethink our nation's copyright laws.&#160; As a new <br> Member of Congress, I am committed to remaining true to our nation's <br> strong legacy of nurturing creativity, innovation and economic prosperity <br> through the ardent application of reasonable copyright laws. <br> <br> Once again, thank you for taking the time and effort to share your <br> opinions with me.&#160; I am honored to represent the 15th Congressional <br> District, and I count on hearing your ideas about ways to improve the <br> condition of our nation.&#160; Your views are essential to shaping the way I <br> serve our district. <br> Sincerely, <br> Mike Honda <br> Member of Congress

Other Messages In This Thread
re: HR 5285   posted by: Mike Montague
re: HR 5285   posted by: Techno Kid

Would you like to send a reply to this message?

If so, just fill out the form below

Your Name
Your Email Address (optional)

Message Title (KEEP THESE SHORT!)

Text Of Reply

Please preview your comments carefully, BEFORE you submit them and submit them only ONCE. If you want an answer by email, this will obviously require a valid email address. We reserve the right to edit comments for clarity, to delete duplicate comments, dated material, spam, flames and any comments that we consider to be inappropriate. Please be civil!

Return to Musical Starstreams Discussion Page