Welcome to Musical Starstreams!

Discussion Forum

home    faq    offers    about    listen    playlists    affiliates    host    forum    tipjar   

re: re: Macintosh PC's

Posted by ezyrider on 2002-09-13, 21:23:51
posting from ip address: 12.237.203.183
I totally understand. I have several friends that like tinker <br> and build their own machines and stuff. Wild horses <br> couldn't drag them to the Mac platform for that very <br> reason. I built a P4 1.7 GHz for the fun of it earlier this <br> year. One of my friends who is a programmer has it <br> now because his Compaq died (most do in 2-3 yrs.) <br> and he needed a PC to do Windows programming on. <br> <br> I have to modify all my cars for a very similar reason. I'm <br> a hot rod nut and I just can't leave my engine, <br> suspension, etc. in a stock configuration. I can always <br> make it better and faster. <br> <br> The new G4 dual processor tower Macs are totally <br> upgradable though. It uses the same PC100,133 or <br> DDR memory as PCs do. It has the same ATA100 EIDE <br> Hard Drives (and it'll hold 4 120 Gb HDs)and you can <br> choose different video &amp; sound cards (4 PCI slots one <br> AGP slot) plus USB and Firewire are built in and you <br> can order WiFi wireless network accessories and even <br> Bluetooth accessories. In fact even my older Macs have <br> memory, hard drive, video card &amp; processor upgrades <br> in them to keep them alive in the modern age. Macs are <br> very customizable. About the only thing you can't <br> upgrade is the motherboard. Macs have come a long <br> way in industry standard hardware configuration in the <br> last few years. <br> <br> The colored iMacs were only out for 2 years (I wasn't <br> crazy about the colors either, most are white, titanium or <br> graphite colors now). You can even upgrade old iMacs <br> with processor, memory and HDs plus add USB and <br> Firewire accessories. Apple used to have competition <br> with Motorola, Umax and Power Computing. They built <br> Apple clones until Power Computing built better <br> machines than Apple did so Apple bought them and <br> shut down the Mac clone market (bad move). Steve <br> Jobs really breathed new life into Apple when he <br> returned from exile. IBM and Motorola still build the <br> processors for the Mac. In fact an insider friend tells me <br> Macs will soon have the 64bit IBM Power4 Desktop <br> chipset. It is quite impressive. <br> <br> Anyway, my original point was Macs are just easier for <br> the average consumer to use and understand and fix <br> themselves without being a techie type. Most people <br> don't care or want to upgrade their computer they just <br> want to listen to music, burn CDs, play games, chat <br> and surf the net. Macs are great for all that and much <br> more. I like Apple machines for the very reason you <br> don't like them. Apple builds the hardware and software <br> and it works seamlessly and I rarely have to worry <br> about configuration issues. But I really do understand <br> where your coming from Wolfman. If Apple had real <br> competition they would have 4-5 GHz processors in <br> them by now...at least if it were up to me. I don't talk <br> computers around here much, but I do use mine to <br> listen to music and record, mix and edit music with. So <br> it kinda ties in.

Other Messages In This Thread
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: egg head
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: ezyrider
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Wolfman
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Wolfman
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Techno Kid
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: forest
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Gwen
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Eric
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Gwen
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: forest
re: re: Macintosh PC's posted by: Lazarus
re: Macintosh PC's posted by: PurpleToe

Would you like to send a reply to this message?

If so, just fill out the form below

Your Name
Your Email Address (optional)

Message Title (KEEP THESE SHORT!)

Text Of Reply

Please preview your comments carefully, BEFORE you submit them and submit them only ONCE. If you want an answer by email, this will obviously require a valid email address. We reserve the right to edit comments for clarity, to delete duplicate comments, dated material, spam, flames and any comments that we consider to be inappropriate. Please be civil!

Return to Musical Starstreams Discussion Page