Welcome to Musical Starstreams!

Discussion Forum

home    faq    offers    about    listen    playlists    affiliates    host    forum    tipjar   

re: re: not insulting teens and twenties

Posted by A51D6 on 2002-09-24, 14:37:01
posting from ip address: 206.68.117.82
1st of all, thanx for the response. Glad to see not everyone dismisses my expressions of discontent as the erratic rantings of a crazed curmudgeonly coot! <br> <br> &quot;I didn't mean to sound like I was insulting teens and twenties.&quot; <br> <br> Ehh, so what if you do?...the ignorami deserve it. (I presume that is the proper plural form of &quot;ignoramus,&quot; yes? If not, by all means, please correct &amp; enlighten me.) <br> <br> Just kidding folks! I seriously want to believe the archetypal &quot;deep thinking kids&quot; from Dawson's Creek actually exist (outside the realm of fiction--and BTW i really have had the privilege of knowing high school friends just as and probably more eloquent and learned than a Josephine Potter). For all we know, some of the l'il ACT acing academians may very well be lurking on this very board, themselves &quot;closet&quot; 'Streamers for fear of relentless reprisal from their less intellectually endowed peers...if so, Welcome!! ^_^ And congrats for being courageous enough to resist the will of the lemmings. <br> <br> &quot;I was actually ranting about the influence market research (or whatever it's called...I may be using the wrong term)...&quot; <br> You're not. Totally got the industry name right. After all, it was my intended vocational target after getting my Bachelor's in marketing, cuz i couldn't sell ice cold Evian in the middle of a freakin desert...in sales i am That Damn Bad! <br> <br> But yes, market research, field surveys, focus groups, etc are pretty much to blame for the homogeneous nature of the recording and broadcasting industries. Because you simply should not (you _can_ but we prefer you didn't) sell a CD like you would a box of cereal. <br> <br> BTW, are you also from Chicago by chance? I ask cuz it seems a good number of Forum 'Streamers call the greater metro Windy City area home. Well regardless...one of the best cautionary tales out there about what happens when you subject good music and 1/2way decent radio to the same cold and calculated sales techniques and promotional practices as athletic shoes or khaki pants is what has happened to WNUA (the Chicago home of Musical Starstreams) over the past 10 years or so. If nothing else, it will go a loooong way toward explaining why not one minute of the remaining 166 hours in a given week on WNUA sound anything like the 2 hours designated for &quot;new concepts in sound,&quot; or why they were the only station in town that refused to air Enya during the weeks that followed the 9-11-2001 events last year, while &quot;Only Time&quot; was only getting played out all over the rest of the dial...this from the station that ironically introduced Chicago to Enya in the 1st place.

Other Messages In This Thread
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: aee
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: steve
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: Techno Kid
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: Gwen
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by:
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: A51D6
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: Wonka
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: mikey
re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: forest
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: P-Toe
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: Eric
re: re: not insulting teens and twenties posted by: forest

Would you like to send a reply to this message?

If so, just fill out the form below

Your Name
Your Email Address (optional)

Message Title (KEEP THESE SHORT!)

Text Of Reply

Please preview your comments carefully, BEFORE you submit them and submit them only ONCE. If you want an answer by email, this will obviously require a valid email address. We reserve the right to edit comments for clarity, to delete duplicate comments, dated material, spam, flames and any comments that we consider to be inappropriate. Please be civil!

Return to Musical Starstreams Discussion Page